The microwave is an easy and fast way to cook an egg. Best of all, the egg comes out in a perfect ‘patty’ shape that’s ideal for sandwiches.
Here’s how to make an egg in the microwave, perfect every time!
- Choose a bowl that has a relatively wide bottom, but not too wide. Think cereal bowl rather than dessert bowl or soup bowl.
- Spray the bowl with cooking oil, or, if you don’t have a spray bottle, simply blot a napkin with some oil and rub it along the inside of the bowl.
- Crack the egg into the bowl.
- Don’t worry if the yolk breaks. In fact, sometimes I use a knife to break the yolk a bit so that’s more evenly distributed.
- Add some extra egg whites. (Optional)
- You can add some extras at this point, like salt, pepper, garlic salt, torn basil, or chives. (Optional)
- Cover the bowl with a napkin or paper towel (or a clean dishcloth, for environmental-friendliness!) and place in the microwave.
- Set to cook for 1 min.
- Stand around in front of the microwave until you hear the egg make a little “POP” sound. This usually happens after 30-40 seconds. Stop the microwave.
- Check on the egg. If it looks liquidy at all, continue the cooking process until you hear it make another “POP” (Usually another 5-10 seconds.)
- After the second “POP”, it’s done!
- Run a knife along the edge of the egg, and then it should slide easily out of the bowl.
Your egg is now ready for its new home on an English muffin, between two pieces of bread, or even sliced up and rolled into a wrap. Enjoy!
There’s a lot more you can do with eggs in a microwave, here are 3 ways to cook an egg in a microwave